Saturday, May 12, 2012

Distractingly Pretty Photos

Despite being a Kindle convert since Christmas, there's nothing quite as satisfying as a thick (*cough*), hard (must.resist) -back book full of glossy images. Some books simply cannot be downloaded. Even with the internet being the greatest tool for these, I would choose the physical copies any day. The book that is the object of my affection lately is "Vintage Style; Iconic Fashion Looks and How to Get Them" by Sarah Kennedy.



I do think these type of books are valuable to people in the beauty industry. Recently, we just finished decade make-up in my class and I have to say, it's been my favourite aspect of it since I started. Deep down, I'm a nerd and thrived on topics like History and English in school. So as well as learning the treads of these eras, we learned the little bit of history on the events that influenced fashion and make-up treads. I love that in the 1920's, women cut their hair up short to rebel against the norm and experimented with dark  eye make-up and the rosebud shaped lips.







Like most ladies I know, 1940s & 1950s has been a favourite of mine. Ignoring the man/woman dynamic  that dominated these eras, I adore the fashion. The polished make-up. The red lip. Hair in rollers. THE DRESSES. It just screams glamour. And with Mad Men only being a recent discovery for me, this quenches my thirst in between episodes. Between Betty's Draper's neat appearance and Joan's striking dresses that she's pours herself into, I'm utterly fascinated. 





I haven't read the book yet, but the pictures have given been enough inspiration for future photo-shoots.   

If anybody can suggest any other books I might like, please comment below. 

I'm off shopping. All this talk about old-school glamour has urged me to be brave and wear a red lip. Let's see how long I wear it before wiping it off in the public toilets of a shopping centre!

No comments:

Post a Comment